Where do you get ideas from when you’re designing your patio or backyard? Finding inspiration can sometimes feel like a daunting task. So, what’s the best way to start?
Modern trends are a great place to start for fantastic, interesting features and furniture. An understanding of the latest trends can give you a starting point to help you create a comfortable, enjoyable outdoor living space that meets all your needs.
Some of the current modern trends for backyards and patios include versatile indoor-outdoor designs, vintage accents, and mixed materials that are sustainable, modern, and durable.Whether you’re looking for a brand-new outdoor dining set and sectional to revitalize your backyard or you just want to explore your options for accessories like umbrellas and other decor, like pillows, having a list of modern trends can help you visualize your new outdoor space so you can make design choices you’ll love.
Use Indoor-Outdoor Patio Designs
The concept of indoor-outdoor design is one of the biggest trends in current modern outdoor living. Indoor-outdoor design principles build on the idea of bringing indoor activities and spaces into outdoor areas for a seamless transition.
Blurring the lines between indoor and outdoor spaces can create a cohesive flow that helps you enjoy every aspect of your home—especially when you’re outside. Indoor-outdoor living can give you a sense of freedom, make your home feel larger, and allow you to entertain guests in an open and inviting atmosphere.
Common indoor-outdoor living designs can include:
- Outdoor Kitchens: Outdoor kitchens are becoming increasingly popular among homeowners who want to take their cooking and dining experiences outside. With features like built-in grills, sinks, and refrigerators, outdoor kitchens can extend your indoor kitchen, allowing you to cook and entertain without missing out on any fun.
- Dining Areas: Eating outdoors can be a fun way to enjoy nature and a delicious meal. A dining area built for the outdoors can allow you to host large dinner parties or simply enjoy an intimate dinner with your family.
- Lounge Areas: Creating a comfortable outdoor lounge space is a great way to relax and unwind with family and friends. Whether you’re adding a cozy fire table or installing comfortable lounge seating, you can create a space that feels like your indoor living room but with fresh air and natural light.
- Greenery Synergy: Bringing your indoor greenery outside can help make the space feel more like a blend of your indoor and outdoor living areas—as long as your plants can thrive outdoors. Using planters and terrariums is an excellent way to add plants to a backyard patio without taking up too much room.
Add Vintage Accents
Vintage accents can be a wonderful way to add character and charm to your outdoor space. Mixing old and new styles can create a unique and eclectic look that can breathe new life into existing furniture and decor.
Here are some ways to add vintage accents to modern furniture and decor:
- Vintage Patterns: Search for patio cushions, outdoor carpets, and other decor with vintage-inspired patterns to create a timeless feel for your cozy accents. Floral patterns and geometric designs with muted colours work particularly well for this type of decor.
- Vintage Lighting: Vintage lighting fixtures like lanterns or wrought iron light fixtures can be a great way to add a touch of old-world charm to your outdoor space. Be creative and look for unique options that complement your existing decor.
- Antique Accessories: Vintage accessories such as metal planters, rustic watering cans, and quirky statuary pieces can add personality to your outdoor space. Look for pieces that have unique shapes or a patina that gives them an aged feel.
- Copper Fire Pits: Copper is a timeless material that has been used in decor for centuries. Adding a copper fire pit to your outdoor living area can create a warm and inviting atmosphere for group events and serene moments.
- Wicker Furniture: Wicker is a timeless material that blends well with a variety of outdoor design styles. Mixing wicker furniture with modern and rustic designs can give your space a homey, outdoor vibe that’s comfortable and stylish.
Use Sustainable Materials
Recycled Plastic Furniture
Using recycled plastic patio furniture is a great way to be environmentally conscious while enjoying stylish outdoor living. Not only can this type of furniture help to reduce waste, but it also has a unique charm.
At Patioline, we take pride in offering sustainable patio furniture products made from materials such as recycled HDPE plastic, which is used in items like milk jugs, detergent bottles, children’s toys, and plastic bags. These materials can take an incredibly long time to biodegrade, making them a great choice for furniture that needs to withstand the weather conditions that affect backyards in Calgary.
Sustainable Teak Furniture
In terms of sustainable materials, teak is a highly sought-after hardwood that is resistant to weather and pests. There are some brands, such as Kingsley Bate, that promote teak sustainability by sourcing their wood from certified growers.
At Patioline, it’s important to us that the teak furniture we provide is made with sustainably sourced materials.
Choose Modern, Durable Materials
Aluminum and stainless steel patio furniture are increasingly popular for their sleek and modern aesthetic, as well as their durability and low-maintenance requirements. Both materials are resistant to rust and corrosion, making them ideal choices for outdoor furniture.
Aluminum and stainless steel are also generally lightweight—depending on the size of your furniture—which can be particularly useful if you like to rearrange your furniture frequently or for storing it during the off-season.
When it comes to wicker patio furniture, you generally have 2 choices: resin wicker or rattan. While rattan is a beautiful and natural material, it can be difficult to maintain, and it isn’t as weather-resistant as resin wicker.
Resin wicker is a synthetic material that is designed to withstand harsh weather conditions without fading, cracking, or splintering. It’s an ideal choice for outdoor furniture that is exposed to the elements. Because resin wicker needs minimal maintenance, it’s also an ideal choice for busy homeowners who don’t want to spend a lot of time on upkeep.
Mixing modern and traditional materials can create a look that’s ageless and iconic. Mixing materials creates a visual contrast that adds interest to your outdoor space, and the combination of different textures, colours, and finishes can make your space look dynamic and unique.
Mixing traditional and modern materials can also add functionality to your outdoor space. Combining the durability of modern materials with the warmth and beauty of traditional materials can give you the best of both worlds.
When considering materials to mix, you might also think about combining modern aesthetics with traditional patterns or recycled plastic. For example, pairing vintage patterns with recycled plastic furniture can add a touch of retro charm to the dimensions of your design.
The Best Modern Trends Meet Your Needs
Although modern styles are constantly evolving, one thing remains constant: the best ideas for your backyard are the ones that meet your needs and match your style. Whether you’re looking for classic materials like teak or something more modern like aluminum and recycled plastic, Patioline has the knowledge and experience to help you find the perfect furniture and decor for your patio—from weather-resistant materials to low-maintenance options. Speak with the knowledgeable team at Patioline about the best modern options for your backyard.