Outdoor throw pillows can be an effortless and affordable way to accessorize your patio or deck. These versatile additions can provide extra comfort and allow you to switch up your outdoor space’s look as often as you’d like.
When selecting your outdoor throw pillows, you can achieve a harmonious and stylish outdoor space by carefully considering colour, patterns, size, and style.
Keeping your tastes in mind is key when selecting throw pillows that complement your space’s existing style and outdoor furniture—whether you have a sofa and chair set or a chaise lounge. With a plethora of options available, there are always exciting combinations to try out.
Follow these tips to find the perfect pillow to accent your outdoor space.
Choose a Cohesive Colour Palette
One of the key elements to consider when selecting outdoor throw pillows is the colour palette. Sticking to a single colour, shade, or selection of colours can help create cohesiveness in your design, making your outdoor space feel more put together and visually appealing.
To achieve this, choose colours either next to each other on the colour wheel (analogous colours) or directly across from each other (complementary colours). Analogous colours can create a harmonious and soothing atmosphere, while complementary colours can provide a vibrant and eye-catching contrast.
With a carefully selected cohesive colour palette, your outdoor throw pillows can help add comfort and enhance the overall aesthetic of your patio or deck.
Should You Choose Dark Colours or Light Colours?
Dark colours are excellent at hiding stains, making them a practical option for outdoor spaces where spills and dirt may be more common. However, remember that darker shades also absorb heat, potentially leading to warmer pillows during hot summer days.
On the other hand, light colours can create a fresh and airy atmosphere in your outdoor space but may require more frequent cleaning to maintain their pristine appearance.
Ultimately, choosing between dark and light colours depends on your preferences and the existing space. Consider factors such as Calgary’s climate, how often you use the area, and your overall design theme when deciding.
Choose Complementary Patterns & Designs
Striking the right balance between patterns and solid colours is essential when selecting outdoor throw pillows. Too many patterns can make your space look chaotic, while an abundance of solid colours may result in a plain appearance.
Incorporating a variety of patterns and designs can help keep your outdoor area interesting without making it feel too busy. To achieve this harmonious blend, consider these common combinations:
- 1 busy pattern, 1 simple pattern, 1 solid pattern: This approach allows you to showcase a bold, eye-catching pattern while maintaining visual balance with a simpler design and a solid colour.
- 1 small print pattern, 1 large print pattern, 1 solid colour: Mixing different sizes of prints can add depth and interest to your space, while a single solid colour can provide a calming anchor for the overall design.
- 3 different patterns with the same colour palette: You can create a visually appealing mix without overwhelming the space by choosing patterns that share a cohesive colour palette.
Experiment with these combinations, or create your own unique blend that suits your style and preferences.
Don’t Forget About Size
Size is another crucial factor to consider when selecting outdoor throw pillows. The pillows you choose should fit the size of the furniture they’re being placed on—for both comfort and visual appeal.
You can also use different sizes to create variety and add depth to your outdoor space. For instance, mixing larger and smaller pillows can make your patio or deck feel more dynamic and exciting.
When arranging pillows on sofas, sectionals, and lounges, a general rule of thumb is to place them from big to small as you move from the outside in. This approach creates a visually pleasing gradient and allows each pillow to be showcased without being overshadowed by its neighbours.
Don’t Choose Too Many
While it may be tempting to pile on the outdoor throw pillows, remember that too many can make a space feel crowded and uncomfortable. Instead, focus on choosing a few specific pillows that contribute to a purposeful, considered design.
By carefully selecting your outdoor throw pillows, you can create a more inviting and visually appealing space for you and your guests. Remember, the goal is to balance comfort and style without overwhelming your patio or deck.
If you have too many pillows or can’t choose just a few, consider swapping them out periodically.
Work with Your Existing Style
When selecting outdoor throw pillows, choosing options that complement your existing space’s style is essential. This can create a harmonious and visually appealing environment that feels cohesive and well-designed.
Here are some tips on how to work with different styles:
- In a space with many patterns: Bold pillows can help draw everything together, creating a unified look and adding interest and depth. Choose designs with a similar colour palette or theme to tie the space together.
- In a space with a minimalist design: Patterns can stand out. Opt for a few carefully chosen patterned pillows to add visual interest and contrast without overwhelming the clean lines and simplicity of the space.
- In a space with a strong, cohesive design: You can play with asymmetry more to create a unique effect or look. Experiment with different shapes, sizes, and patterns to add a touch of whimsy or an unexpected twist to your design.
Start at the Source
While browsing online can be convenient, there’s something special about experiencing outdoor throw pillows in person. Visiting a store lets you feel the materials, see the colours and patterns up close, and truly visualize how they’ll look in your space.
We invite you to visit us at Patioline to experience our extensive selection of outdoor throw pillows and decor. Our knowledgeable staff can guide you through the various styles, materials, and designs, helping you find the perfect pillows to complement your outdoor space.